Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Book! Book! Book!

We received a big surprise from the doctor at my son's 3-year checkup today.  She gave him a book titled, Book!  Book!  Book!  by Deborah Bruss.  Apparently, the doctor gives a book to all her 3-year-olds in order to encourage them to read at home every day. 

So, tonight, my son and I decided to read it, and let's just say, it has got to be one of the cutest stories I've ever read. 

It's about these bored farm animals who walk to the library.  Each enter and try to communicate with the librarian, using their animal sounds.  The librarian can't understand any of them, except the last animal - the hen.  The sound the hen makes is interpreted by the librarian as, "Book!  Book!  Book!"  My son got a real kick out of the animal noise I made, reading that phrase. 

The animals are finally happy, because they have something to do.  The only animal who is still unhappy is the frog.  I'm about the give away the ending.  In case you don't want to know it, I'll change the text to red.  Just skip over the red text, so I don't ruin it for you.  For those who will check out the book regardless, here goes.  I just can't help myself.  The ending is so cheesy, but at the same time, so funny.  And, again, my son LOVED it.  Here it is.  In red ink.  The frog didn't like the book, because he had already "read it read it." 

I love this book for so many reasons:  the funny play on words, the farm animal vocabulary, the animal sounds, and finally, the message it sends -- if you're bored, and have nothing to do, a trip to the library for a good book will put a smile on your face. 

There aren't many clever books out there that encourage literacy and put a smile on your child's face at the same time.

Here's the cover.  Look for it at your local library:

No comments:

Post a Comment