Monday, August 23, 2010

Colors: Changing the Game Plan

Okay, the one color a month idea is not working for my son.  Everything is blue!  So, I've decided to make a change.  I know, it hasn't been a month yet, but when something isn't working, you just know it.

The "bring me something" (insert color name) game does work, though, so I'm keeping that one.

And something even better seemed to click tonight.  Using colors as adjectives to describe objects is what has turned on the lightbulb in my son's head. 

Examples:
"The blue bin is going to be my pirate ship."
"The red box is going to be my hat."
"The brown bear is hugging the pink bear."

I don't know why I never tried this before, but at least I figured it out before he's off to college or even kindergarten.

2 comments:

  1. Colors were a tough one to teach my 3 year old too. He's finally got the basics. (red, orange yellow green blue) although orange and green are often mixed. however it is very likely he is color blind. That makes it tougher.
    i do the same thing. Find me a yellow block. Pick out the red car.
    Ooo, also try using gumballs. Worked great. Then when he got them right, I'd let him have one. Ok maybe every other time I'd let him have one...lol. Up to 2 or 3 at a time.

    Oh and thanks for following my blog. I will now follow yours.
    I'm always interested in new ways to teach my son. He's super active and doesn't like to sit down to learn. He'd way rather play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Jamy! And for following my blog. I'll have to try the gumballs. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete