Friday, August 27, 2010

Take a Cue from Your Kid

Your child will tell you when he/she is ready to learn.  I haven't really focused on shapes too much, but lately, my son has been asking if certain shapes are squares, circles, etc.  He's pointed to the dog-food container lid, which have triangles on it, and said, "Look, Mommy!  Triangles."  At the store, he's pointed at the floor tiles, and said, "We have to get the squares, Mommy!"

Okay, it's time.  We're taking a break from (not abandoning) colors, and will be casually/informally pointing at objects around us throughout the day (e.g., the cereal box, the wheels on his trucks, his Lego table, his ball, fruit at the supermarket, furniture).

Arts and crafts are another great way to learn shapes.  You can paste together many shapes to form different objects, like animals or houses.

In Kindergarten, he'll learn circle, triangle, square, rectangle, sphere, cone, and cube first.  So, I'm thinking I'll focus on those before the shapes with more sides.  Even though, if he asks what they are, I'll probably tell him.

So, rather than push him to focus on the topic I feel is important, if I take a cue from my son, he'll be more receptive to learning what I have to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment