Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tiger's Birthday can teach Sequence of Events

In Kinder and 1st, children already learn about sequence of events in stories.  They are also asked to write their own personal stories/events in order of what happened first, second, last.

Recently, when reading with my son, I discovered the perfect, simple book to teach this concept to kids.  The book is called, Tiger's Birthday, by Mercer Mayer.




The story is simple, and takes us through what most children are familiar with - a birthday party, from start to finish.  So the topic appeals to children, and it concisely teaches a very important concept they will need early in school.  Fantastic!

I really wish I had read this story when I was teaching.  I could have saved myself a lot of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment